A while back, we asked women who read HuffPost Divorce to share the one thing they wish more men would do on dates. (One standout response? Actually ask her on a date — past a certain age, no one wants to “hang out and chill.”)
But what about the guys? What do men past a certain age want to see more of on dates? Below, HuffPost Divorce bloggers share what they wish more women would do before, during and after dates.
Take it away, guys.
1. “If we’ve never met before, make a definite first move to establish whether we’re doing a handshake or hug. Doesn’t matter which, just help ease that awkward first greeting.” — Barry Gold
2. “Please forgive the first 10 dumb things I say and do (if they are not deal-breakers for you) as I’m a mess. The second date will be better, I promise.” – Antonio Sacre, author of My Name is Cool: Stories from a Cuban-Irish-American Storyteller
3. ”Don’t ask why I’m divorced until at least the third date. I know you want to know about past relationships but on the first date I’m not ready.” – Elliott Katz, author of Being the Strong Man a Woman Wants: Timeless Wisdom on Being a Man
4. “Let me hold the door open for you.” – Chad Stone, author of The Love Magnet Rules
5. ”If you are a heart surgeon waiting for an urgent text to save someone’s life, by all means, have your phone on the table. Otherwise, please put it away.” – Antonio Sacre
6. “Offer to pay. I have no problem paying for dinner but please at least give us ‘the reach.’ Make a move for the check a) so the guy can say, ’Please, let me get this!’ and b) it proves you are at least interested enough to invest in the evening.” – Craig Tomashoff
7. “Compliment us. I work out and one of the reasons I do so — outside of staying healthy — is so women can see that I’m a man who takes care of himself.” – Lee Kronert, author of Mental Cruelty: A Novel for Divorced Men
8. “A little encouragement goes a long way. Silence is not golden. ‘I’m having fun’ is cool.” — Ken Solin, author of The Boomer Guide to Finding True Love Online
9. “Disagree with us! Quiz us. Debate us. Really throw down the gauntlet by claiming ‘Die Hard’ isn’t the greatest movie of all time. Challenging us means you’re interested in how we think and that’s the sexiest experience a guy could ask for.” –– Craig Tomashoff
10. “During the date, a light touch on the hand or arm says a lot about your interest in us. No, we won’t consider it foreplay.” — Ken Solin
11. “Don’t talk badly about your ex because if you are going to talk badly about him, then I have no doubt that at some point, you’ll be talking badly about me to some other stranger.” — Al DeLuise
12. “After a date, please pick up the phone when I call. A call means I really like you.” – Chad Stone
More from HuffPost:
— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.